- 1lb (500g) garlic scapes
- 3-4 tbsp. (40-50ml) brown rice flour
- salt, pepper
- 1 c. (250ml) brown rice flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) cornstarch
- 1 c. (175-250ml) flat beer
- canola oil for deep frying
- Wash and thoroughly dry the scapes. Toss in a few tablespoons of rice flour, seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Beat together the cup of rice flour, cornstarch and egg with enough beer to make a thick batter.
- Fill a deep-sided pot with about two inches (5cm) of oil. Heat the oil until hot, but not smoking. Dip the scapes in batter, one at a time, and lower into the hot oil. Flip once and remove when golden brown.
Note: Serve piping hot with tamari dipping sauce.