Garlic scapes are in season now and we cook garlic scapes at least twice a week. Everyone in the family likes the flavour and texture of this wonderful produce. Here is one of the recipes and you can substitute chicken with either beef or pork.
- 8 oz. Skinned, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 egg white beaten
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pound of garlic scapes
- 1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon shredded ginger
- 2 scallions shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- Cut chicken into slices about 1 inch thick then cut each slice into strips.
- Combine with a pinch of salt, egg while, sherry and cornstarch.
- Cut garlic scapes into one-inch pieces
- Heat a deep saucepan over high heat.
- Add oil and heat until hot and turn off the heat.
- Blanch the chicken in oil for one minute.
- Stir to separate the shreds then remove and drain.
- Pour the oil from pan leaving 2 tablespoons.
- Reheat the reserved oil over high heat until very hot and stir-fry the
- ginger, scallion, and garlic scapes for one minute.
- Add salt and sugar, blend well, and then add the chicken with soy sauce and stock
- Stir thoroughly, cover pan with lid and simmer for ten minutes until all liquid evaporates, sprinkle with sesame oil to serve.
Recipe by Lita Wong