The beans and the scapes look remarkably similar, making this dish full of taste surprises. Serve with any kind of sautéed or grilled poultry or meat
- 8 oz (250 g) green beans
- 6 oz (175 g) garlic scapes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ½ red pepper, finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Top and tail green beans. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add beans and blanch for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and refresh with cold water until cold.
- Trim garlic scapes and remove any seed pods. Cut in two pieces approximately the same size as the beans. Blanch for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on thickness. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. Add scapes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add red pepper and green beans. Toss together, cover skillet and cook for 2 minutes longer or until scapes are crisp-tender.
- Uncover and season with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.