Those who love garlic can’t get enough and scapes have the added bonus of providing a vibrant green colour to any dish.
This recipe has been adapted from La Terre Garlic Farm (www.laterregarlic.com) in New York. Experiment with potatoes: round white, russet (Idaho), Yukon gold, and even baking potatoes.
- 2-1/2 lbs (1-1/4 kg) potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup pur?ed scapes (garlic flowers)
- 3 scapes, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup hot milk, to taste
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Puree your scapes in a food processor. We’ve added some chopped scapes for crunch.
- Add potatoes to a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to boil over high heat. Cook until just fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Mash.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, melt butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add pureed and chopped scapes. Saute 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir into potatoes. Add milk to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes 6 side servings.