- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- I package garlic flowers, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons lightly toasted sesame seeds salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch garlic scapes in boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes (or steam in the microwave with a little water for 2-3 minutes; I do this to save time). Drain.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add garlic flowers and saute for 7-10 minutes, until they start to brown a little and soften somewhat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste as well as sesame seeds. Serve.
This recipe could also be adapted very well to roasting the garlic flowers, tossed with the vegetable and sesame oils, in a 400 degree oven for a while (probably at least 30 minutes), then seasoned with salt and pepper and tossed with the toasted sesame seeds. I haven’t tried it this way but they would probably roast well as other vegetables such as green beans and asparagus do.
I hope my local store continues to carry this interesting product.